Hey, I'm Colin Mitchell. I build art and other things on the internet.
- I have been exploring the world of screensavers and will be writing about it here.
- I maintain chatterbot, a ruby library for building Twitter bots.
I built gopherpedia, a gopher interface to Wikipedia. Yes,
gopher gopherpedia.comreally works, but there is also a web-based interface.
- I build a lot of random websites, including a random name generator (with API), a website to remind you how old you are, and a recycling schedule reminder for my town.
I make a lot of Twitter bots. Some of my favorites are @botgle, @wayback_exe, and @EarthRoverBot. You can read about all of my bots in detail in my list of projects, or check out this list on Twitter.
Here's some recent projects of mine. You can see a more complete list on my projects page. You can be *instantly notified* of any new project I post here by subscribing to this RSS feed. Please subscribe!
- Atari Attract Mode: I added an Atari Attract Mode to Before Dawn. It cycles the screen through low luminosity colors.
- @IndyDaySpeech: I made a bot that tweets the speech from Independence Day every 4th of July. The source code is available on github
- @eliza on mastodon: I made another bot for Mastodon, this one is a chatbot version of ELIZA
- @loveletter on mastodon: I've been exploring Mastodon as a social network so naturally I made a bot for it. I'm running a bot-friendly instance at botsin.space too.
- The Journey of EarthRoverBot: A bit about the travels of EarthRoverBot
- Before Dawn: I made a screensaver tool called Before Dawn! I wrote a little about screensavers too.
- Trump Administration Twitter Archives: I wrote some code to generate archives of realDonaldTrump tweets, along with several Trump admin accounts. The archive should be constantly updated any time someone tweets. I made this before realizing that the trump twitter archive has made its data available on github but it might still be handy.
- buzzcut: This was my entry for the 2016 #NaNoGenMo -- a novel generated using cutup techniques on pages from buzzfeed.
- @drillify_exe: @drillify_exe is a bot that juxtaposes a random tweet with a random dril tweet. The source code is here.
- @happened_today: I updated @happened_today to include images from wikipedia when possible. The source code is on github.
- @muffin_exe_sta: I made an ebooks-style bot that glitches old pictures from my main Twitter account.
- @head_2_keyboard: @head_2_keyboard is an ultra-realistic simulation of smashing a head into a keyboard. here is the source code.
- The Making of @lists_of_lists: A walkthrough of how I made the bot @lists_of_lists
- @lists_of_lists: Twitter bot that tweets lists found on Wikipedia. Source code is here.
- @HulkDonaldTrump: Twitter bot that tweets like the Hulk version of Donald Trump. Here's the source code.
Many of my projects have their source code available on my github page.
I don't blog much anymore, but you can catch up on my old posts any time you like. Some of my favorite posts include The Public Art of Amazon Reviews, a list of the most common place names in the United States and a post about gopher and my early experiences on the internet.
Feel free to email me at
colin @ this domain dot com or message me on Twitter (my DMs are open)