Hey, I'm Colin Mitchell. I build art and other things on the internet.
- My newest project is the secret broadcast, a (mostly) auto-generated podcast. It's basically a numbers station, but as a podcast. It reads encrypted messages as a sequence of letters, and it has some music and other things added too. If you want, you can submit a message, and it will be encrpyted and read in an episode.
- I am exploring the world of screensavers and writing about it.
- I maintain chatterbot, a ruby library for building Twitter bots.
I built gopherpedia, a gopher interface to Wikipedia. Yes,
gopher gopherpedia.comreally works, but there is also a web-based interface.
- I build a lot of random websites, including a random name generator (with API), a website to remind you how old you are, and a recycling schedule reminder for my town.
I've made a lot of Twitter bots. Some of my favorites are @botgle, @wayback_exe, and @EarthRoverBot. You can read about all of my bots in detail in my list of projects, or check out this list on Twitter.
Here's some recent projects of mine. You can see a more complete list on my projects page. You can be *instantly notified* of any new project I post here by subscribing to this RSS feed. Please subscribe!
- The Secret Broadcast: The Secret Broadcast is a numbers station podcast. The content of the podcast is encrypted messages. You can submit a message and it will be read as an encrypted sequence of letters and numbers, and which can be decrypted with a key only available to you and anyone you share it with.
- Emlyn Dickinson's Herbarium: I made a bot that posts images from Emily Dickinson's collection of pressed flowers and botanical samples.
- moire: I made another screensaver on glitch before adding it to Before Dawn, it's a neat experiment with moire patterns and colors.
- Before Dawn v0.9.25: Before Dawn has been updated with a couple new features and new screensavers. In particular, you can specify that you only want to run screensavers on a single monitor -- which is a handy way to keep your CPU load lower.
- p5.js fullscreen starter on glitch: I made a p5.js starter project on glitch with a full screen toggle. Then I used that project to write a version of the old mystify screensaver.
- Before Dawn v0.9.14: I rewrote Before Dawn to use Vue.js, fixed a pile of bugs, and improved perfomance.
- Nice Gradients: I made a screensaver that slowly updates color gradients on your screen. It's part of Before Dawn but I also wanted to put a copy of it on my website.
- Before Dawn v0.9.11: I continue to plug away at Before Dawn. It is getting very stable and usuable now. I've added a bunch of screensavers and have plans to add even more.
- Editorialize Chrome Plugin: I made a simple Chrome plugin which replaces any text on a NY Times editorial with poop emoji. The source code is on github
- Lonely Computer: I wrote about a screensaver that reacts to noise.
- Defrag: I wrote a little bit about a screensaver that defragments your screen.
- Atari Attract Mode: I added an Atari Attract Mode to Before Dawn. It cycles the screen through low luminosity colors.
- @IndyDaySpeech: I made a bot that tweets the speech from Independence Day every 4th of July. The source code is available on github
- @eliza on mastodon: I made another bot for Mastodon, this one is a chatbot version of ELIZA
- @loveletter on mastodon: I've been exploring Mastodon as a social network so naturally I made a bot for it. I'm running a bot-friendly instance at botsin.space too.
Many of my projects have their source code available on my github page.
I don't blog much anymore, but you can catch up on my old posts any time you like. Some of my favorite posts include The Public Art of Amazon Reviews, a list of the most common place names in the United States and a post about gopher and my early experiences on the internet.
Feel free to email me at
colin @ this domain dot com or message me on Twitter (my DMs are open)